Friday, September 20, 2013

Malibu Nights

Last night, I raced. First race in 8 years: Complete. Cobwebs dusted, race number collection initiated. Adara is very into numbers lately so she excitedly asked me to take off my "7" and give it to her after the race last night.

Lucky number 7!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I did run a local trail half-marathon last June, but I discovered a baby was busy growing within me just before so it didn't really count as a "race." I ran that 1/2 marathon easy, chatting the whole way and just enjoying the camaraderie of trotting along with other trail-lovers. But last night, I finally did it. I raced. I hadn't made mention of it before because it wasn't planned. As I am realizing, the best things in life happen that way.. unplanned, spontaneous events that turn into the best surprises and ultimate blessings. I had a blast and met some other cool local runners, like a mom with 4 kids between the ages of 5 years and 4 months. I asked her if she raced the first trail run of the series last week. She said "No" and then turned to her husband to ask, "Honey, why didn't I race last week?" He responded: "Because you didn't sleep the night before." "Oh yeah," she shrugged. That's how it goes when you have these babies.

A new running shoe store opened in our neighborhood last weekend, I somehow fell upon ads for it online, which led me to postings for the Conejo Valley Trail Runners Club. A lover of running groups, I joined. Then I remembered that I don't live in Conejo Valley, all my runs are last minute go-with-the-flow, who needs a nap, I need to get outside right now, runs. As a stay at home mom of two toddlers and a baby and a husband who works his butt off I don't have much flexibility to attend running groups. Oh, and Isaac still nurses on demand and hasn't been eating any solids since getting croup over a week ago, so really I can't leave him. Trail running is not suited for a triple stroller and so in reality I can't attend running groups.

Maybe in a few months or years. I remain hopeful. Running with others is fun and inspiring. But for now my running partners are 4, 2.5 and 8 months and require me to push them rather than push me to faster times. Anyway, I joined this running group online and then discovered that the organizer was hosting a race series called: Malibu Nights. Every Thursday evening at 5:30pm for 8 weeks there is a 5K trail race on a very secluded single track at Camp Mt. Crags (never even knew it existed!) in Malibu. AND, get this, they even have activities and babysitting provided by a local YMCA for kiddos! For FREE. You get to run a race in a gorgeous section of Malibu. Okay, really what area of Malibu isn't gorgeous? Your kids get to play and run around while you are away for 20-some minutes AND there's an organic, grilled cheese truck for them to eat dinner afterwards. Perfect, I thought.

Then I remembered that I never leave Isaac and I am definitely not ready to leave him with some random teenagers so I had to convince Alan to leave work early and meet us there. Alan works hard and loves his job. He's busy and busts his bottom to get in by 7am and back home by 6:30pm for bedtime every night. Leaving work early mid-week for me to do a little race might be pushing it. Then I looked up the exact location and realized it was less than a 10 minute drive from his lab. He passes this place every single day on his scenic drive home from work. Really, the race was begging me to run it. I brought it up to Alan and he was in! (By the way, he's up for Father-of-the-Year award soon, if you haven't heard). : )

Hanging out on the sidelines.

Straight from Thursday afternoon gymnastics we loaded into the minivan and made our way through the mountains to Camp Mt. Crags. The girls had been looking forward to it all week with the promise of an obstacle course and a grilled cheese food truck (I'm careful to encourage them to eat well-balanced, try anything and I don't keep them to a strict vegan diet, though unbeknownst to them we mostly adhere to that at home). As we pulled into the parking lot I knew it was going to be a good night: there were swings and 2 playgrounds! The girls spent the next 5 minutes anxiously debating which playground to check out first. Oh, and there were also 2 deer blocking our way. We had to slow to about 1mph to allow the friendly foes to casually stroll into the grass and out of our parking space. They were in no hurry and I loved that. These deer set the stage for the evening -- totally chill, laid-back and friendly.

Next up was registration, bathroom breaks for the three ladies and one last minute nap for the little prince tucked away in my ergo. Now we were waiting for daddy to arrive. Walking around with my race number and three littles in tow, more than one person stopped with raised eyebrows to ask exactly how I was going to race with a baby asleep on my chest and two girls glued to my legs. My husband will be here any minute to take over, I assured them. And he was. The girls saw daddy's fast little burnt-orange car pull into the lot and they were off. Shrieks and laughter ensued as they filled him in about 2 playgrounds, swings, an obstacle course and the deer we spotted! There was much fun to be had. Fifteen minutes before start time and Isaac was awakening. I lied him down on our picnic blanket beside Alan and dashed off for a quick 5 minute warm-up. Isaac was all smiles giddy to be out in the fresh air on a beautiful nearly-Fall night in Malibu.

Showing off that shiny new top tooth!

Following one last wave and smile to the girls and an overly complicated course description, the horn blasted. We were off! Two guys in front and me trying to stay close enough to the nearest runner so as not to get lost. I am notoriously bad at directions and have gotten lost in more than a few races in the past. I kept the second guy in sight for as long as possible and at the first turn-around spotted a woman about 50 meters back in fourth place. There were probably 30 runners in total. Trail runners tend to be rare and races small. Just my style. I have never been one for crowds and I prefer for races to be won on hidden corners of desolate trails rather than in front of massive street-lined fans. That's how races are really won anyway, aren't they? I have always believed races are won during workouts, during those quiet solitary moments when everyone else is asleep and you are out there alone. Working hard.

I didn't have any race plan. Having signed up last minute and unsure of whether Alan would be able to get off work and watch the kids for me, I had run 8 miles with the triple the previous day. And really I was just squeezing this race into my 10K training plan which was coming up in November. However, it would be fun to win, I thought. I'm competitive. Did I mention this? So once I spotted that lady in 4th place trailing not far behind, I planned to win (for the females). Running without my watch and with no mile markers or knowledge of the trail, I just ran. Ran hard, kept that 2nd place guy within my sights and had some fun kicking up dirt. I did miss one turn but was alerted after about 10 seconds, turned around and was now right beside the other lady. Shoot, I thought. What a lousy way to lose, by missing an unmarked turn. This was a small, friendly race and I didn't want to be rude, so I ran beside her for a few seconds and then surged to put in some distance again. After this, I believe she gave up. She didn't even respond, didn't try to stay with me and remained about 20-30 seconds back for the final mile of the race. I kept on pushing, enjoying the new single-track under my feet and motivated by Isaac's little smile at the finish line. I just want to finish as soon as possible to get back to my little baby, I thought. Finishing third overall and the first female across the line was an extra bonus. I told Adara afterwards that I "won for the girls." She looked at me and said, "No, a man won. So really you didn't win." Tough critic. She made me laugh, and then took my race number.

No comments:

Post a Comment