Monday, September 9, 2013

Rest days

We work hard. We play hard. Sometimes we must rest hard. Rest days are always the most difficult for me. I can bang out 800m repeats with three kids, I can complete an 8 miler on hilly trails after only 4 hours of sleep. Running energizes me, brings out the best in me and provides me with that endorphin boost I need to get through long, trying days with two toddlers and a baby. Rest days do nothing for me. Except, they do. Any book on training or physiology can explain to you the crucial benefits of rest days. In my heart, I know they are just as important as hard training days. The problem is that the benefits are not as obvious.

Today is a rest day. Sometimes I need to rely on my kids to remind me. Adara woke up sick yesterday morning. Crabby, incessant whining that drives you crazy as you drag her around all day (to Sunday School, out to lunch, walking around Culver City) until you realize that, "Oh poor kid, she has a 103.5 degree fever! No wonder she was so whiny. Man, she's tough. She should have complained even more!" That's how it always seems to go. Just 4 years old, she isn't quite able to understand her body well enough to come out and shout "Mama, I'm sick!" Instead it is more likely to be manifested with constant complaining, whining, dragging herself around. You would think I'd know it by know, being a mother for over 4 years you would think I could recognize the signs and not drag her around the city all day feeling frustrated when she can't quite keep up. I don't. I screw up, I make mistakes. We all do. Life goes on.

Isaac playing at our friends' place
in Culver City yesterday.

We push and push, run and run, until we simply can't. I have dealt with countless running injuries - nearly all from overuse. I am not good at resting. My college cross-country coach sarcastically nicknamed me "Lucky" as I seemed to possess extra luck, this extra special skill.. at injuring myself. Stress fractures, Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis. I've had at all. For years I have known that I would be a better runner if I simply ran less. Perhaps if I loved it less. I love running, I get addicted, I push too hard and skip rest days. Now I have kids. I have three beautiful, lively children who rely on me. They need me to have energy, to stay healthy, to give them my time, attention, love and.. milk. Isaac still nurses every couple of hours and depends on my body for his own growth and development. I need to take care of myself so that I can take care of them. I can't end up on crutches or nurse a stress fracture. With others to think about, it is crucial that I stay safe and smart, take those rest days. Train hard and rest hard.

Sick days help remind me that we are all vulnerable. Adara is tough, pushes through the pain, she is resilient and cried all morning long that she wasn't sick and promised she was healthy enough to go to school. "I can't miss my job on the job chart, she whined. "I have a job." We all have jobs. But sometimes we all must take a rest day, skip those jobs and take care of our bodies.

Calm playtime. Isaac trying to chew off Mama doll's leg.

I push myself hard and have high expectation for both my kids and me. When they act lazy and whiny it gets me down. I want to raise them to be tough, strong and adventurous. But sometimes, we all need a lazy day. We dropped little sister Cesia off at school and ran straight home to the living room where we planted ourselves for the day. I fought the urge to go out seeking adventure. We did make one side-trip to Whole Foods but that was to restock our fruit supply and enjoy some lunch. Let's see if we can rest hard for the remainder of this Monday. Wish me luck.. I've already thought up about 20 excuses to go out for a run with the kids.

1 comment:

  1. Good to teach your kids how to take a break. Love comes in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete