Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Reset Run

It is 2pm on a Sunday afternoon. The mercury is hovering right above 100 degrees. You are at home alone with three crabby kids. What to do?

a. Go pool-hopping around your neighborhood.
b. Sit at home watching time melt away.
c. Go for a run.

Today, we chose c. and it transformed our day. Three ice-cold water bottles, three whiny kids and one desperate mama headed out the door and hit the streets. Within minutes Cesia was out. Adara followed suit soon after and Isaac just did what Isaac does -- sat there silently for the next hour enjoying the ride. Six miles and two empty bottles later (it was so hot I drank both mine and Adara's) and we were back home, both girls slowly waking from their slumber as I pushed the triple up the final hill.

What a difference a run can make for all of us. I was blessed with one hour of quiet bliss. The girls both got in good naps and awoke refreshed and ready for a fun afternoon. Isaac was calm and relaxed, still recovering from his bout of croup. It was a "Reset Run." Not fast, not timed, no agenda. Just running until it feels good to stop. Running until everyone is in a new place, at peace and ready to move forward positively with the day.

The streets were quiet, seemingly everyone in their right mind was hibernating inside, staying cool during this mid-September heat-wave. While running along empty streets, with a breeze gentle enough to cool my hot sleepy kids, I was reminded of my afternoon runs with the girls pre-Isaac. I loved those runs. Those are what transformed me back into a runner. Adara was just over 2 and a half and cutting out her naps, but so desperately needed them to get through the days. Cesia was nearing 1 and fighting her afternoon nap, so one day I strapped them in the double Chariot and just ran. Within minutes, they were out. Wow, that was easy, I thought. The next day came and so did the afternoon protests so I thought I'd try it again. Same thing, minutes down the road and they were asleep. So I ran. Every afternoon I ran, pushing two sleeping toddlers miles and miles while they slept away the afternoon. If I stopped, they woke up. So on I ran. There is nothing like the promise of a sleeping child to motivate you to keep on running.

Adara and Raggedy Andy on a run. May 2010.

It didn't feel good at first. In fact, it felt awful. Running is cathartic. Returning to running after some time off (in my case, my second pregnancy) is painful. It is slow, it hurts, your lungs burn, legs beg you to stop. You feel heavy, legs lift like leaden pipes trying to make it up even the slightest hill. It continues like that for some time. Days, weeks, possibly even months pass as you slog along, pulling your body through the streets, begging your muscles to move forward in hopes that soon it will get easier. Then it does. Overnight, like magic. One day you go out and suddenly you're just running. No more slogging, no more pulling. You don't even notice the transformation but inside you can feel a magical metamorphosis has taken place. You float effortlessly up and over the hills. You are a runner again.

Our very first double stroller run. November 2011.

I feared this process of becoming a runner again when I discovered I was pregnant for the third time in as many years. I had finally just gotten back into shape. I had paid my dues, I survived those weeks of painful transformation, running through the streets at a walking-pace. In fact, I remember feeling a bit faster until Alan joined me for a run and was literally walking beside my uphill running pace. His long legs keeping up with me stride by stride as I panted for air like an overheating dog on a summer afternoon. And now I was pregnant again and would have to re-start the whole process over in 9 months.

I had an even bigger fear, though. I was terrified that I could never again run with my kids.. all together. I loved those quiet afternoons alone on the trail with Adara and Cesia peacefully sleeping in front of me while I simply ran. I will never forget those memories, the many miles we covered together. Adding a third child would change all that. Physically, they could no longer all fit in the Chariot. I never seriously considered a triple jogger. As previously mentioned, it seemed ridiculous -- too big, too heavy, too expensive, too little storage in our already over-crowded garage.

This Sunday marked 8 months for Isaac. The passing of time has been unbelievable. I can honestly say I have enjoyed every single day with my precious little prince. I have not wasted the days, I have treasured each and every moment. He is our last baby and I will not look back and wonder where the time went, or beg to re-live this first magical year of a child's life. So as we ran on Sunday, I was filled with nostalgia and gratitude. Thankful for my three healthy babies, my ability to run with them, my triple stroller for making that possible and the many miles we will cover together in the years to come. Much better than pool-hopping (though we may try that on a future weekend)!

 
Before Sunday's "Reset Run."

No comments:

Post a Comment