Saturday, September 14, 2013

On Fire

3x1200m complete. Except the last repeat was going so well that I decided to extend it into 1600m and go for a new single-stroller mile PR. Sometimes when you're on a roll you might as well just go for it. My goal pace was about 5:30/1200m. Feeling rested and ready after taking yesterday completely off and sleeping in until 8am this morning (thanks to Alan for getting up with the girls and letting Isaac and me get some much needed rest!), I hit the first 1200m in 5:00, the second (slightly uphill) in 5:15 and the final 1600m in 6:05. I think that must be the fastest mile I've run in 8 years. Not bad. Now I'm tired and only have a few minutes to write before the girls will be home from their day out at the L.A. Zoo with Alan, but a few thoughts from today's run:

1. Running fast and reaching your goal times feels good. I feel high right now.. on endorphins, life and the love of running with Isaac. He's the perfect little partner. Sits quietly, looks around and just enjoys the ride, even when he's sick and in pain from this nasty bout of croup. Sometimes I wonder what he's thinking about while sitting there silently for an hour...

2. I was on fire today. Literally, my feet were on fire. Does anyone else have this problem when running in Vibram five fingers? It's a long story which I will save for another time, but I switched to minimalist barefoot-style running shoes 4 years ago when returning to running after Adara's birth. I wish I could go completely barefoot, but my feet just aren't that tough and I run on a lot of trails and unpaved, rocky roads. I tried homemade huaraches on and off for a few years. I love the idea and look of them, but just couldn't make them work. I've read of ultra-marathoners competing in them but I could never get the tying right and they always felt either too loose or too tight and I got sick of having to stop 20x/run to adjust the lacing. When you stop during a stroller run, the kids think you're done, they don't want to continue another 30 min, and so I ultimately switched to Vibram five fingers. They changed my form completely, I'm now a forefoot striker, haven't had any shin or foot pain (knock on wood) and absolutely love the barefoot, light and free feel of them. However, when running in the heat with them the soles of my feet feel like they are on fire. Today's run was close to 100 degrees and my feet burned so badly I had to run on the sidewalk for my 400m recoveries between intervals. During the intervals I guess I was distracted, other types of pain took over and I felt okay on the black-top, but man, running home on 100 degree pavement was not comfortable. I'm not sure what else you can do when running in Vibrams in the heat, but if anyone has any suggestions please share! Also, I keep getting holes in the toes of my soles after just a few months. Is this normal? I had hoped they'd last longer and they are supposedly made with the express purpose of teaching one to land on the ball of their foot and engage their toes more, yet I keep burning toe holes after just a couple hundred miles of use. I haven't even come close to wearing out the heels on them, causing me to rethink what type of foot-striker they were really made for..

3. Neighbors are awesome! My neighbor and friend, Megan, unknowingly helped me complete my fastest mile in 8 years today. I'm convinced she must have known my schedule and route as she showed up at just the right time. During the "almost-half-way-done" phase of today's workout, Megan drove past me on Alhama, surely with her two toddlers in tow and waved happily. Suffering, I can't remember if I even waved back or mustered a smile but her presence helped. Like a spy planted there to hold me accountable, she passed me twice in her Toyota during the workout today, keeping me honest and on pace. When you're out there alone completing a tough workout, sometimes it helps to just have a friend surprisingly show up at exactly the right time. Thanks, Megan!

4. I want a Bob. In line with #3 on awesome neighbors.. my other incredible neighbors down the hill let me borrow their single Bob running stroller today. Alan took the girls to the Zoo and Ikea, giving me a nice break and the entire day alone with Isaac. He had to use my car and double stroller to get to the far parts of this particularly hilly zoo, leaving me alone with just the triple. I didn't want to do 1200m fast repeats with a triple stroller and only 1 baby -- that's just crazy, even for me -- so Emily and Spencer let me borrow their single Bob. I had never run with a Bob before. Man, was it nice! Now I understand why Bob is synonymous with running stroller. Incredibly fast and smooth, honestly the difference running alone vs. with a single Bob felt negligible. The only problem is.. now I want one. : )

Off for a fun Saturday afternoon of playtime with my favorite three little kids! Have a great weekend, watch some football and Go Bears!

1 comment:

  1. I love the ending and the Bears won a great game. You represent some of the best times in my life. I was at Reavis yesterday watching a cross country race and thinking all the great memories with you and your sisters. I spent a lot of time at Reavjs playing high school football and hanging out there and when I was in grade school. My running was on a field playing sports and I really didn't get into distance running until you were in high school. It's difficult and great to hear about your pains as a runner and a mother. Please know that I think about you everyday and while hanging out in the parking lot st the Bears game I talked about going to see you and what a great runner and mother you are. I will never run enough to feel the pain that you feel but mine comes from wishing to see you race and spending more time with you.
    Love dad

    ReplyDelete